Happy Birthday Pancham! Thanks for all the music!
Most of the pre-90s generation has grown up with RD’s music forming the background score of our lives. Most of the time we have associated him with the wild beats and pulsating music that the songs like ‘Dum Maro Dum’, ‘Mehbooba’, ‘Poocho na yaar’, ‘Aapke Kamrein mein’ etc. While he defined music for the angst filled generation of the 70s, he was one of the most melodious music directors that have had anything to do with Indian film music.
All time Favourite Pancham Melodies:
1. Chotti Si Kahani Se – Ijjazat
2. Phir Wohi Raat hai – Ghar
3. Huzur is kadar bhi na – Masoom
4. Kaheen na Jaa – Bade Dil Wala
5. Khamosh sa Afsana – Libaas
6. Chaand Mera Dil – Hum kisi se kam nain (the wakau number)
7. Kis mod se jaatein hai – Aandhi
8. Aye Ri Pawan – Bemisaal
9. Tumne Mujhe Dekha – Teesri Manzil
10. Gum hai kissi ki Yaad Mein – Rampur Ka Lakshman
11. Tere liye Palkon ki Jhalar Bunoon – Harjayee
12. Kahana Hai aaj tumse Pheli baar – Padosan
13. Tumse Milke AISA Laga – Parinda
14. Yaadon ki Baraat – Yaadon ki Baarat (especially the antras)
15. Gulmohar gar tumhara naam hota – Devtaa
16. Aane Waala Pal – Golmaal
17. Kis liye maine pyaar kiya – The Train
18. Chingaru Koi Bhadke – Amar Prem
19. Tum Bin Jaun Kahan – Pyar ka Mausam
20. Sholay Theme – Sholay (Honorary Mention)
You might notice that all these songs were either the songs of sadness, separation or longing and even philosophical… all of them in minor chords. But absolute soul stirrers nonetheless!